Monday, July 13, 2009

Lex's 50th Birthday!



Many of you know that Lex's dad's funeral was on his birthday 28 years ago. Needless to say, Lex's birthday hasn't been his favorite day. He hasn't really wanted to do much to celebrate and of course, he doesn't like to ever be center of attention. Since Lex was turning the big five 0, I decided that he needed to do exactly what he wanted and if it was nothing then we would do nothing!! To my surprise, he decided that he would like to travel to Colorado to visit his brother Paul and his sister in law Ann and stay in their new cabin. I of course had planned his party in my mind and it looked nothing like he had decided it would look like. To my surprise, it was one of the best few days that Lex and I had spent together. It was fun making the whole week all about Lex. He is so easy going and he has so many decision makers constantly around him ( that would be me, Blake and Landon) that he rarely gets a vote. I didn't make a single decision for the entire week. We had such a great time traveling together, watching the beautiful scenery and learning more about each other. Oh sorry, I did make one decision. We played a game where I would ask him any question about himself and then he would ask me. Believe it or not, we learned quite a bit about each other after 27 years and the time just flew as we held hands and reaquainted ourselves one with another.

We arrived at Paul and Ann's beautiful little cabin/house in the woods. It was so beautiful and so quiet. It was fun to watch brothers talk and fish and sit on the porch and catch up. Ann and I never find a quiet moment as we both love to talk. The high light was watching Lex get his birthday surprise from his family. Ann had framed his father's navy uniform in a beautiful black lacquer shadow box. A black and white picture of his dad was nestled in the fabric of the uniform. The detail was presented perfectly and there were many tears shed as the prize was unveiled! What a beautiful, thoughtful gesture from his sister in law Ann. It hangs in our family room where we can all remember Lex's father Bert. I missed meeting his dad by 3 weeks and so it is adored and loved by me as well as our children. Lex made every decision. He got to fish and shoot his pistol. He sat on the porch with his big brother, ate and watched a few Lex movies. What a great few days for my boy! Thanks Paul and Ann for making it all possible.
We traveled home on Monday, June 15Th. On Tuesday, Lex's actual birthday, we (Melissa, Blake, Emily, Braxton, Elle and myself) went to dinner at Porcupine Grill. When we got home there was another surprise made by Shelby and Melissa. Shelby had made him a birthday DVDs, all about Lex! More tears were shed as we watched 23 minutes of Lex's life. He absolutely loved it!! Thanks Girls!!

Finally, I surprised him with a little, OK a large but just a dessert party. Many friends and family came to share this day with Lex. He was touched by many visitors but was especially excited when several of his friends gave him new golf clubs. Thanks John & Kim, Kenny and Lisa, Brian and Sheri, Jenni and Zach! He was so excited to have a very nice set of Callaways!!

I just want Lex to know how much we all love him and it was very fun spoiling him. I told him not to get used to having it all be about him but to tell you the truth, I quite enjoyed it! If anyone deserves it, Lex does. I love my boy and am so grateful for 27 years. He is so Christlike and so kind. He loves everyone and rarely judges anyone. He is an amazing husband and father and I love him sooooo much! I know he had a great birthday. Thanks to all of you for making it possible.

No comments: