Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day in Malad!

Lew making sure that it is perfect!
Mom, Dianne, Lew, Cris, Trudy and Lex
It's hard to believe that we are putting flowers on my dad's grave!
Elle loved her grandpa. I constantly remind her of him. I want her to always have a memory!
Angie, Doug and their family joined us. It was a beautiful day!

Memorial Days have changed. Every year our family would go to Idaho. Our favorite spot is called Power House where my parents have some beautiful mountain property. Someday we will have a cabin there. In the meantime, dad and mom would take up their trailer and the motor home. They would work very hard to make sure that everything was ready for us. We would take the bikes and Cris would take her horses. Tin foil dinners were always on the menu. In Malad it always rains on Memorial Day. Arch and family would often come from California. They gave up because it usually resulted in all of us packing up and going back to the house. My favorite was dad getting out the blow torch to get our fire going. He called it his "boy scout match". We all stood back and he had a dandy little fire going in no time. He was PROUD!

Since my dad passed away two years ago on the 26th of May, we haven't really wanted to go. Some things will just never be the same. After traveling up to Idaho on Sunday to put flowers on dad's grave, we decided that we would venture up to Power House to check it out. It was beautiful and as I stepped onto the property, fond memories began to flow. I know that dad would want us to continue to "live" and carry on our family traditions. In some weird sort of way, I felt him there. The memories will always be in my heart but nothing like they were as I stepped out onto that property and felt the breeze and listened to the sounds of nature. The 4 wheelers, the bike rides, the kids running free through the trees were all sounds that I have missed. At that moment I said that I was ready and I didn't need to wait for the cabin. I'm In!!! Power House here I come. I will always have a sweet place tucked away in my heart for the memories with Dad and Mom, but for now, we will have our mom and our children deserve to continue on with the traditions that have already been in place over the years. Landon will be happy. He begged all last summer to go to Power House. It is a wonderful place and our grandchildren will be another generation, eager to explore and experience the legendary "Power House". Thanks Dad and Mom for making our lives so wonderful and memorable.

(watch for pictures to follow)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a good time. I remembered grandpa about half way through the day. I never know what day it is here. I do love my powerhouse so that makes me jealous. We will definitely be going when i get home. I love you guys!!
ps the blog looks awesome mom!