While visiting with my friend Tammy, she informed me of the sudden illness of one of our classmates, Dennis Carter. About two years ago, Dennis became ill. They ran many tests but couldn't come up with a diagnosis. They even had him at the Mayo clinic. He began to loose his motor skills. I'm not sure of the exact time line but I'm sure of what I witnessed as I visited him in the local rest home.
Dennis, 45 years old looks like he has severe cerebralpalsey. He was being fed by the nurse a lunch that consisted of mashed up baby food. He didn't recognize me but seemed a bit embarrassed when he was told my name. I said a quick prayer as I witnessed this horrific sight. Just two years ago, he was a strong father with young children and a beautiful wife. I was blessed as I was able to be myself and joke with this old friend. I congratulated him on his oldest son's achievement of National Bull rider. He was also playing football in the Homecoming game that evening. I hugged him goodbye and started to cry as I left his side.
I felt so much sorrow for this man. The most devastating part of this story is that Dennis is physically handicapped but his mind is like mine and yours. He knows that he is in a rest home with 80 and 90 year old people. He could live 40 more years in this condition and his wife can't take care of him at home. I have seen and heard of a lot of sad situations but this has to be the worst of any. I walked away wondering what I could do for this very helpless friend. I was glad that I had come to Malad. I haven't been able to get the sight of Dennis out of my mind but I don't really want to. I want to come up with a plan to help this man. I will find a way that our family and our class can make a difference in this sweet friends life. I am glad that I listened to the prompting to go to this "cheer thing" and I will never complain again.
I was the only one who couldn't remember the actions to the school song and I left before the game and so it didn't really matter. I was able to reacquaint myself with old friends, remember fond memories of home and most importantly visit a friend in need. I will count my blessings and pray for this young family who's life is forever changed. Thanks to my friend Jenni, I was able to ponder my going to Malad as she asked me if I was glad that I went. Yes, I'm really glad!
No comments:
Post a Comment