Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Highlight of My Life!




For those of you who know me really well, you know that I'm a movie star derelict. I don't watch TV. I do like movies, occasionally and I seldom know who anyone is talking about when they are referring to anyone "famous". So definitely can't think of anyone who I would rush for an autograph or a picture. Knowing that about me, you can appreciate the rest of the story.

I was invited to the Catholic Community Services dinner by some very good friends of mine. Their daughter in law was in charge of this event and some of their family were unable to attend, leaving 2 places at their table. I had an extremely full week and my first thought was, maybe I should say "no" to this one but I love supporting other faiths and was touched that our friends would think to invite us. So the words, "of course, we would love to" came out of my mouth. Then she informed me that our prophet was going to be there accepting an award for our church. I of course thought, no, not our prophet but perhaps maybe someone in the quorum of the twelve. I didn't say this to her but thought there was no way that our very busy President Monson would be attending.

We rushed into the dinner at Little America with no time to spare as we met our cute friends daughter in law, Carrie. She was so sweet to be excited to see us and to say, "your Prophet just arrived, he's in there now". I was so elated and surprised!! I hurried in and made sure that I would have to walk right by him where he was greeting some of the guests. As we approached him, I reached out to shake his hand and he hugged me! Remember, I'm not "starstruck" by anyone. I was in a little heaven of my own. As I sat down at our table, just one table away from his, I found myself staring. I, me, wasn't even hungry. I'm always hungry. I asked my friends if they would be embarrassed if I went over to get his picture. They were so excited that I was excited. They laughed at me and encouraged me to go ahead and be the stalker of the Prophet. I am shy when it comes to making a fool out of myself and so it took great courage for me to go and intrude and interrupt his dinner. I leaned down at his side and said, " Sorry to interrupt. I'm a member of our church but am here with my Catholic friends. I never want to be one of "those Mormons who think they're better etc..." He smiled and said so sweetly, "why do you think I'm here"? I said, "I know why you're here and I think it's great. Would you mind if I took your picture? He laughed and said, "of course, get your camera". I had Lex on queue. He popped right over and the photo session began. I was acting so ridiculous. I can't tell you how fun this was for me. Go figure, I go to a Catholic function and meet President Monson. The really cool thing is that their congregation wasn't rushing him and so a few of us Mormons had him all to ourselves.

I looked over at him in this very long program and realized that he looked so tired because he was. Lex reminded me that it was Thursday and he had been at his meetings very early that morning. I know that it meant alot to the Catholic church that he would take time to be a part of their night. This is what it's all about and if our very own President Monson can do it, so must we. I have heard so many stories over the years from non member friends, how their children were mistreated because they weren't Mormon. Oh, that is sooo sad to me. I loved the evening and it's really what its all about. Coming together in all that we do. With all of the chaos and clutter that surrounds us at this time, it was truly a remarkable evening and I'm so glad that I was able to have this experience. I hugged our prophet and I will never forget it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat experience, and the perfect setting to have a one on one moment with Pres. Monson. I love him too, what a great example you both set for everyone else who was there. Taking time out for others who are not in our circle takes courage...good job Trudy.

The Murdocks said...

How awesome! What a neat experience! I was shocked to see his pic on your blog, i had to do a double take. Hope everything is well. Glad you guys had a nice Thanksgiving!!!
Brieann